Wednesday, November 23, 2016

blackout

I have to say, life at the office can be pretty dull..and I mean this in the broadest possible way ever.

Anyways, dull office life, the slow thump-thump in the ribcage as the corporate world continues to consume our souls and all, tapping away on the keyboard and leaving the dreams, we noticed the light flickering. It has started flickering since seven am (most of the people here got in at around seven, semi flexible working arrangement) but no one cared enough to make any noise. we pretty much keep things to ourselves or within the windows of Lync.

it was around nine that I noticed the increase in temperature and while I was discussing with a friend on a certain report to be sent out that morning, we noticed the office keep switching on and off, revving as it do so. naturally, I panicked, saving the documents I was working on a few times because it was an important client (a client originating from the nation between Malaysia and Indonesia. they can *cough* be quite a challenge) and admittedly, I let out a huge breathe after I click send on the report. we are just praying for no immediate *cough* comment.

again, the lights continue to flicker and at one point, some lights went off. I continue to type with one hand while the other hand started putting things into my handbag, just in case the management let us continue our work at home. but it was just false alarm.

the air was thick with anticipation and adrenaline (adrenaline from typing as much as we can while continue to hit save repeatedly). and the other part anticipating an announcement letting us go home.

we were like kids in school, waiting for the bell to ring.

we were like kids at college, waiting for a lecture to end. setting an alarm at the end of the lecture; that happened.

we were like kids, waiting for recess.

we were like kids...ok basically we are actually all kids in a grown up body.

at one point, i closed my eyes and covered my eyes with my palm; just a habit. and I was confused for a few minutes afterwards because I was pretty sure I opened my eyes but all I can see is darkness.

a bit of an exaggeration there but you get it.

it was dark, except from lights from the window and from the emergency exit. we immediately rushed for the front door, letting the light go in and pretending to appear flustered by the heat when all we can think of is 'let us go back.' some even suggested lunch but I was more excited for the going home option.

I ended up socializing with a friend, asking about Fantastic Beasts. it almost became a picnic when someone tore open the chips and chocolates. I have no idea how we have those ready but it was God sent.

from the pantry, we moved to the reception area, placing ourselves as near as possible to the door so we would not miss any announcements of being able to work from the comfort of our homes. in the darkness, our eyes shone of hope (actually of the light from the emergency exit but for the sake of this entry, just let it be from hope). we were hopeful, hardly able to stand still.

chips being passed around while we can hear people laughing, a rarity at such hour. but this was a special day, which may not come again for several months. it almost felt like a joyous occasion, except we shared the joy in the dark.

alas, the light flickered back and everything was bright again. I can see the obvious disappointment on our faces once the power came back on. I can't believe we were that excited to go home.

oh the power failure was because of the defect in the air conditioning system. and we continue to be working in the warm environment for the next several hours until three pm.

No comments: