Sunday, June 21, 2009

I was out shopping with a friend yesterday and I was tired. Didn't realise I was that tired until after iftar.

OK, was not supposed to ramble.

So, at the end of the day, we were like so exhausted having to walk here and there and finally wanted to get some coffee for my auntie. I am ok with the idea of walking downstairs (looks at the spider veins on my legs and feigns horror) but she wanted to go on the elevator. Since the Prego in the bag weighed me down (as if I need more support to bring me closer to earth) so I just followed her to wait for the elevator. It's killing us by then, we went out at 1pm and by then it was already 8pm. So we waited. The elevator arrived and of course, the door opened. We waited patiently since the people in there have kids and we don't want to add more trouble to their additional baggage. And when we wanted to step him, the door was closing. And guess what? No one in the elevator wanted to push the 'open' button to let people in. And the best part was, they are parents with three kids. My friend nearly got her hands trapped when the door closed. There were no sensors and its not as if no one can't see that we wanted to come in.

Now I understand it all. Now I can see it all very clearly why we have this problem with all mat rempits, uncontrollable school children, increasing crime rates among school children. Look at the example being set by the parents. People are coming in and you just don't care. You are being too ignorant to just push the button. Was it too difficult? And think about the example set to the kids. Next time people want to come in into an elevator or something, they can just do the same thing. Or even better, push the button to close the elevator's door.

I don't blame educators, I really don't. If this is the kind of example a parent would want to set to their children, maybe we can just stop worrying about everything all together. How can we expect something good from an ignorant set of examples? Say if our role model is Amy Winehouse instead of Stephen Hawking (change at your own will), how can we be so sure we would not say 'Ouh, it's ok to do drugs. We can just be popular and get trophies for it.'

I hereby would like to remind myself not to be so selfish as to do what the couple did. OMG, both the father and mother just stood at the corners of the elevator looking at us with a blank stare, holding the hands of their kids and do nothing.

Please God, don't let me turn into those

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sure you'll not turn into them. :)

Zila said...

what an ignorant couple! yes i agree. please don't blame teachers, lecturers or org gaji for your kids' behaviour. good or bad. it's the parents' responsibilities. after all, parents are the ones who gave birth to us. if u want us to respect and make u proud, please teach us how to do it first. give respect to gain respect

Unknown said...

anne: ouh my God. tengs
carrie: hear hear!

NSMY said...

sy penah terdengar studnts bg contoh yg perlu diikuti ketika pertandingan public speaking (nsb baik antara kelas je, kalo peringkat daerah..mampus ciku yg kena). she said:

"...tgk saja Stacy, juara AF6, walaupun dia tidak menghabiskan pelajaran namun dia masih mampu berjaya.."

i was like... huh? *sori stacy*

#tajuk public speaking dia adalah 'usaha tangga kejayaan'.

NSMY said...

it's cikgu not ciku... huhuhu