Sunday, May 24, 2009

Who ate my tuna bun?

No, that was me trying to mislead you people. And I know one person will be mad at me and say ‘Can you stop being an elephant (as in remembering all things that happened. Bwahaha!) What I want to say is…I love being a Malaysian.

No, honey. This is not sarcasm. And no buddy, no political remarks or reviews here. I’m bored to death about it. Sorry to burst your dream bubbles so early.

I have no idea how many languages there are in Malaysia and mind you, this is just based on me staying in KL, not moving to other parts of the beautiful country. Some of us speak Bahasa Melayu, English, Chinese and Tamil. And in my honest opinion, there are other languages being spoken too. Please, if you may so kind to remind me, do jot down the other languages we speak apart from dialects. But what strikes me the most was, despite out differences, our inability to pronounce certain words in a correct way, (I have trouble saying inferiority complex for example. I will say it inferity cornflakes) we will always find a common ground to speak in one language.

For example, a friend of mine has this language barrier with his grandparents. He is a Chinese but he didn’t speak Cantonese or Mandarin. He speaks English at home and Bahasa Melayu. And in order to communicate with his grandparents, he uses Bahasa Melayu because that is the only language that they can understand.

Isn’t that great? Despite our differences, we will always be able to settle on a common ground.

I love kedai mamak. Speaking from experience, one of the places that I can agree with when having several people of different races, background and sanity levels (I’m not kidding) is mamak stall. It’s like this universal place where everyone can sit and eat and drink. I’m not saying that we can’t dine in places like KFC but we just had to bond over a glass of teh tarik or something.

Bless the mamak stalls in Malaysia. Now I’m craving for a tall glass of the tarik. Gackt!

And the most important thing…Malaysians love food! It’s amazing how people can go on and on about food while having food in their mouth. Ok maybe it was just me and my colleagues. There will always be free food every week that I think my work hazard has to do with expansion of the waist line.

Never mind. Will start buying them cholesterol-laden food so they will be the ones who are bulging with food. If I can’t be thin, they have to be fat right?

OK then. Enough fooling around. Get back to work. Yes, yours truly is working on weekends. So tade life.

No comments: