Wednesday, February 24, 2010

don't look back in anger, please!

Today marked the day which I may have intentionally become the reason for a couple to break up. Honestly, I didn’t plan it to happen.

This is the second time in a week that the Monorail is having a problem. For some weird reasons, the train was late again for about 15 minutes. Just imagine the crowd when delays like that happen. I can assure you the passengers are like mashed-up tunas in a tin, unlike sardines (because there are only up to 5 sardines in a tin so it is pretty roomy. This is not the case for tunas because they are mashed up to the top of the tin. Seriously, I do not know why I have to explain this in such a detailed manner).

I was fidgeting by then because it was already 8.30 and with a crowd like the one I saw, I don’t think I’ll be able to get in but I don’t care! I just have to. There I was, standing at the KL Sentral station, trying to digest Roald Dahl’s short stories and try very very hard not to scream to summon the train, inching forward bit by bit because I do not want anyone to cut the queue. Thankfully, the train arrived at 8.30-ish.

And as usual, I was being pushed into the train. Usually I’d give in but not this time (actually I was very concerned that I will be arriving too late at the office so I just pushed inside, holding my breath). And thank God I fit in!

Just when I was about to say ‘Yeay’, someone pushed me harder from behind and I accidentally bumped into the guy standing in front of me, a Chinese guy wearing a salmon/ pink shirt. The problem was, my face bumped into his shoulder and O-M-G, there it was, staring accusingly at my face. My lipstick marks, clear as day on his shirt. I was so surprised that I do not know what to do. Should I alert him? Should I not? Should I reapply my lipstick? (actually Lipice lipbalm, Hazel Blush. Kau sibuk sangat nak promote kenapa?). Should I scream? Should I not? Should I get his number?

But before I can think more clearly, I was pushed further inside the train and I think no more of the lipstick mark. I was like ‘Sokay, as long as it’s not on the collar then it would not be a problem.’ So, I tried balancing myself happily all the way to my stop.

Come lunch, I told my friend the story. I was joking actually when I said,’ you know, I might be the cause of another breakup today. I accidentally kissed someone’s shoulder and left my lipstick mark on his shirt.’

And I didn’t expect the reply to be ‘ Oh gosh. You can just be it you know. Imagine the wife or the girlfriend asking about the marks and he didn’t know where it came from.’

‘ But..but..it was not on the collar,’ I tried to defend myself (in vain, of course).

‘ Just imagine trying to explain the marks while the guy do not know where he got it.’

No. He was just scaring me, I thought. So, I ate my lunch (nasi lemak. Really nice and I do think I’ve added another inch to my waist) and walked back to my office. I arrived there and started taking a poll.

A married colleague said she will definitely get angry with the husband if she discovered the marks, albeit on the shoulders.

Another colleague just laughed and do not know what to do.

My boss just laughed at me.

And yes, I think I may have (unintentionally) caused someone grievance. If he is seeing someone.

This long-winding story has lessons anyways:
1. A person of 157cm tall should not wear lipstick in the morning. Especially when she is traveling using transportations like KTM, LRT or monorail.
2. When you found lipstick marks on your partners’ body, it may be caused by an incident. And maybe he doesn’t even know it was there.
3. Always, always face the other way when you got into a train. It was lucky my lips landed on his shoulder. Imagine how disastrous it would be if I bumped into his chest or something. Now WHAT will be more difficult to explain.

Oh dear. I do pity the guy.

No comments: