Friday, June 13, 2008

The front page of The Sun today showed a picture of two kids holding swords, hanging in mid-air in China. That was exactly what I had in mind when Grandpa first enrolled me into a Taekwondo class.

At the age of 9, when I tied that white belt to my waist, I had the pictures of Masters jumping, kicking and smashing rocks. I was excited thinking that I may be able to do this one day when I learnt all the basics.

It was fun to learn all the kicks, stances and punches. As time goes by, I moved from the back of the line to the front. The sneer and jeer I received from my fellow classmates, I pushed aside. I couldn't care what they say. I mean, they have computer classes and all so what's wrong with going to a Taekwondo class.

What I liked most during the classes was learning new Patterns. I'm really not into free sparring because I hate fighting (make peace, not war!). But one-step or three-steps sparring are among my favorites. I was thought on how to counter-attack the opponents.

Silly me. I thought the moves are being fixed and I couldn't change it at all. But I was wrong. It really depends on your creativity. And that makes it even more interesting.

I've demonstrated the things that I learnt a few times. But breaking things like stones and wood are certainly not my thing.

When I got on to secondary school, sadly, there were not offering Taekwondo classes. By then, I was still anxious to move on to grab Black Belt and move to First Dan. I'm already having Senior Brown. Well, it never happened because I realized that if there was a class on Taekwondo, I will have to fight boys! So, no. I was idle for 3 years.

How I missed it. I practised a few kicks in the comfort of my own room but that was it. No running 10 laps, doing that 'crab exercise' and such. I miss those warming up sessions and 'correcting your stances' sessions.

When I was 16, the chance came for me but I lose some of the flexibility that I had back then. Doing exercises became more challenging. I sweat at the very effort to touch my toes while I used to do it pretty easily. But the ability to stay balanced, stayed. I never got on.

And I continued in uni. By then, I was adamant that I'm not going to get Black Belt. Because I enjoy the process of learning but not having to fight others. If I were to take the test, there will be a session on free sparring whereby i will have to spar at least three people from Green Belt and above (at that time, not sure about now). So, I quit after sometime.

I was quite amazed to find out that it's easy for me to balance myself. I guess that's the 'fruits that I reaped' from years of training. I still have problems to touch my toes. And I noticed those that I know, who learnt martial arts, have good reflex. Like really, really good reflex. One shot of the arm in front of their face and they'll block it. Me? Not a chance. Too slow. Blur. A complete dreamer.


Looking back at the picture, I realised that I really missed martial arts.I went to Silat classes a few times but (no offense), I really don't think I suit learning at night, in open air (only applies to the classes that I went to so no offense again!). I would like to go through the Takwondo training again, looked at the instructor giving instructions and hear the shouts reverberated across the room. There will be 'target' laying around where you'll be practising your Front Kick, Side side kick, Backthrust and Turning Kick. There will be handsized black target to practise your Chopping Kick (which is certainly an advantage for tall guys) and Swing Kick.

I miss gaping open-mouthed at seniors performing their patterns. And the part when the session ends and everybody bows at the instructor, saying thank you in one voice.

I'm still looking at the picture but I know, it's maybe way too late for me to go on with classes like that. but i was happy that I once when through it and had the memories of it.

No comments: