Friday, November 21, 2008

From My Desk : The Kind of Love That I Want

I remember watching A Lot Like Love, What Happened in Vegas and 27 Dresses and actually wanting to meet a love like those in the movies. It started out from friendship (except A Lot Like Love) and turned out to something special. I actually do hope that I meet that someone from the circle of my friends (ah kantoi). Well, I'm obviously not getting younger and dating? Hurm..

Anyways, this morning, I got hopped on the bus again (like I have done so for the past one year and yeayness! It's my one-year anniversary of working here *throws one thousand zillion confetti) where was I? Ok right. It was a very bumpy journey, you know how it was at 8am. Yes, I do go at work at 8 am, taking my own sweet time, siap bole beli that hot steamy pau for breakfast. And I saw this aged couple. They look pretty similar, which is what people always say, if your features is the same with your partner, InsyaAllah sejuk rumah tangga. Plus minus, they will be around 70 or even more but seriously, they are not frail.

I looked at them and wonder, they look so at ease together, will I be able to create a relationship like that? Without words, they seem to understand each other, just through their body language. And when they went down the bus, that's when I felt as if I was about to cry: the grandmother held the grandfathers' hand to cross the street. She's obviously younger than the grandfather but that aside, I think to myself, can I take care of another person like that? Will I be able to push aside my needs, selfishness to guide this person to cross the roads when the road was so full of people heading for work and the lights were blinking like mad? Will I have the patience of not pulling the other person's hand, to ask him to walk faster? Can I do that? Will I be able to change myself and tolerate that person?

I realize now that's what I want. I want to grow old with the person, not just living and being with him for a mere few years. I want to have backaches, quarrels, difficulties with the person, not just the shiny and beautiful things. I want to go through all the trouble, crossing the road, fall down, pick ourselves up and laughing, I know that what I want.

Crap. I have tears in my eyes.

No comments: