Saturday, July 24, 2010

Why I Cannot Go on Trans-Siberia



For years, I have been dreaming of going on Trans-Siberian, a network of railway that connects sea of Japan, China, Mongolia and Russia, among others. Three years ago, I even tried to save for the trip (but alas invested on several pair of shirts bwahaha!).

However, I really do think that I cannot go on that railway network, which is divided into four parts. Because….

1. The red bag with flower motives was the bag that I carried during island hopping and snorkelling. Just imagine, that was just the bag that I carried around for the few hours. Please imagine me going on Trans-Siberian that will obviously take weeks perhaps. I might as well attach a cargo to the train to fit all my things.
2. I’m extremely worried when it comes to things associated with bathrooms. I nearly burst in happiness when I arrive in any places and I see nice restrooms. I almost wept but managed to control myself before any of my friends noticed. Imagine going for days on the train, backpacking style. Say bye-bye to nice restrooms.
3. The very issue of bathrooms. Yikes.
4. I will not be able to sleep. And me not having enough sleep is nightmare. Ask my office mates when I come to the office in the morning. An unknown person nicknamed Calvin (haha!) asked whether I would like the title ‘Minah Brutal’ or ‘Minah Garang’. Neither. ‘Aishah yang cool’ will do.
5. Language barriers. If I want to do this Trans-Siberian thingy, I would have to speak at least 5 languages since the train will go pass North Korea, Beijing and wait…where is Kiev located?
6. The very issue of money. Like of course it’s backpacking but going past several countries, experiencing different temperatures. I should be thinking about different clothing and back ups if I need food. What with me and being fragile shessh!
7. I will be itching to go online. With the clothes and essentials, I don’t think I can fit my laptop. And not even my iPad.

Seven points that made me drop my plan to go all independent and travel on that thingy. I just recently discovered that my good friend also wants to go on the same thing but we will need a guy to accompany us too.

But alas, the biggest obstacle for me is having to live on the train. I don’t think I can do that. So, the solution is now just to head to Perhentian. Yes, I know. Again. And arrangement has been made. This time, I will be chilling on the beach only, on the hammock and taking pictures; sunrise and sunset.

2 comments:

Calvin Foon said...

for me, i share your concerns about bathrooms...I do have a phobia about them..dirty bathrooms give me nightmare!!!!
But other than that, i think i can handle a train ride like that...

Unknown said...

looking into 20-feet water didn't scare you?