Monday, March 07, 2011



Today, Emak had a little episode with ‘unstable angina’ and I took her to the hospital. She said she was feeling ok but no, no Emak. Off to the hospital we go, thanks to a very dear friend (you know who you are).

We were very lucky that we arrived quite early because soon after that, people filled up the emergency section pretty fast.

To be in the health service sector, I imagine it can be very hectic. No one can give a specific number on how many people that a doctor or a nurse can attend in a day. I imagine some days there will be fewer people while at other days, there might be more people. Unlike me, I have a specific quota to fulfil in a day (as of now) and working on weekends is sometimes an option.

Looking at the health personnel working in the particular government hospital (name withheld), I’m instantly amazed. Today, on the day that I can choose to wake up late, these people have been working for only God knows how long. They have to attend to those who are already in the hospital, going to the ward as well as those who are leaving the hospital. Looking at the make-shift beds, I can imagine that there are a lot of people to attend to.

I admire all of them, seriously. The doctor, the nurses, the guards, the surgeons, the attendants, those at the counter, pharmacists, dietician, the cleaners (sorry if I miss out any of those who work in the healthline). We were at the hospital for nearly four hours and they can still attend us although I am sure they were exhausted.

One of the doctors went into a convenience store looking at a magazine. I admire him truly. You know why? Because he was willing to go into a shop with lots of customers, patients and visitors alike, without scowling. Honestly, I hate school holidays because KLCC will be so packed, it will be like mashed tuna in a smashed up can. But not this doctor. He can walk into the store and still read the magazine. I don’t know how long his shift was for today but I can be sure very long and I admire him for not screaming or scowling because I’d honestly do that.

It is a no brainer why I’m not a doctor.

And then there were nurses. They have to attend to their personal matters while at the same time they have to attend patients. I know, it is part of their job description but can we all imagine how hard it is to be pregnant while still attending to patients? I mean, yes, the nurse did sit at the counter but still? I imagine it can be tiring.

The cleaners; that was another WOW. Changing the sheets, mopping the floor, throw the garbage, make sure the hospital is not contaminated…. I mean, WOW. I think those are really great achievement.

I wish I can go on but my interaction was limited to just a few health personnel only. But I want to thank all of them for attending us nicely although I know it can be very tiring. We can be patients number 5,000, who knows.

I know I’m repeating myself but I truly admire health personnel. I believe there has been chronic shortage of health personnel for years now. I can’t imagine having to work in an industry that is constantly short-staffed.

With this, I would like to say thanks to doctors, nurses, pharmacists, support staff and other health personnel who I didn’t name (pardon my lack of knowledge). To all those who plan to enter the healthcare service sector, I thank you in advance. You are going to make a difference to the patients directly.

Well, I’m not saying others in other industries are not making any impact. I’m just focusing on those in the health sector now. 

No comments: