Thursday, July 17, 2008

From My Desk : Big Names Comes With..

big responsibilities of course. What were you thinking about titles, jobs and promotions? Hot chicks only? Yeah, you do get hot chicks but of course with something extra.

I remember vividly that there's this one time when I wrote a poetry (which I'm too lazy to look up for right now) when someone said, 'be careful what you wish for'. As time goes by, with me being the pathetic, one hell of an attention seeker me, I still cannot get out of my silly habit of wishing for things that I shouldn't be wishing for. Things like wanting a job (back then, which proves to take a toll on my health) and wanting friends that I shouldn't even look twice in the first place, I realised that we have to be very careful on what we wish for.

And questioning the authority, might prove to be hazardous to oneself. Try it, go on. Demand an explanation from your boss why you should be doing this boring little thingy that made you feel positively like a small dimwit, just an example. See what we'll happen. Either you will have to pack your things in a net little box or get a promotion with tonnes of work to do. What, you think being a CEO doesn't require you to do anything meh? There's a lot of thinking and monitoring to be done. Well, this is for CEO with calibre of course. Others don't count.

And after opening our mouth (or sealing the letter), prepare to walk the talk. People, honestly, in the top line, doesn't really like the talker when they really can't perform. If we want to be one, be very charming and by all means, do whatever you promised to do.

Why the rambling? Well, first and foremost to keep me on the ground. To remind me that this is my job and I would have to take responsibility of it, regardless of my puffing and huffing while doing some Indonesian sources. Basically as a reminder for myself that to question authority, one must be prepared for the consequences. Think about the pros and cons, look at it from the technical side before finger-pointing (I was not given enough work, she was doing nothing at the top, the higher management doesn't care what happens to me e.g).

Human are creatures that are hard to satisfy. This is why I wrote this, as a reminder to myself. Well, you can take some if you want to.

P/S: I know you hardship darl. But that's what engineers do I guess. Sabar eh?

No comments: