Wednesday, April 28, 2010


If you have an image of a person wearing a black trench coat, a black fedora hat, a black glove and black boots carrying a basket, trying to hide from the other customers, you can wipe that image off. That has nothing to do with mystery shopper but of course, fits well with the description of ‘trying to look mysterious while shopping’. 

Today, people, I’m going to tell you about my dream job because I'm nice like that (because I have to wait for the mask on my face to be ready in about 11 minutes). 

I love shopping, considering that I’m a woman, that is pretty normal. People have asked about my dream job and my answer will always be ‘getting paid to shop’. And then we laughed but deep down inside, I know it is possible. You ask how? Mystery shopper of course. 

Mystery shopper is a system (pardon for this textbook-like introduction) where companies keep track of the performance in their branches, usually related to customer service. The ambiance, the staff, are they looking presentable (not necessarily drop dead gorgeous) and of course, how they treat you as a consumer. For example, a company wants to check the customer service in its fuel station in Bangsar. So, the mystery shopper will be sent out to check out the place. Mind you, you are not allowed to flaunt it to the public that you are a mystery shopper (I think Syud has this kind of experience). It kills the mystery, no?

The mystery shopper will be given a checklist and what they are supposed to do. They will visit the branches and try to look nonchalant, blend in the crowd. Of course, they need to prove that they have completed their tasks to the company who sent them. 

The pay for mystery shopper varies. Imagine that you visit a bank, deposit money and for that, you get RM 35 (company will pay for any bank charges, in certain cases). And this is just for beginners. Just imagine how much those who are more experienced may earn (no, you do not have to close your eyes to imagine it). 

I would like to give it a try though. No. Would LOVE to give it a try. 

So there you go. That is the kind of job that I want. Sipping coffee in Starbucks and get paid for it, buying things in a convenience store and getting paid. I want that. 

Any one interested to hire me?

p/s: for women out there, we have a recommendation  in our latest review. check out this new review where you can find all you need to know about beauty products.

No comments: