Saturday, August 20, 2011

One Less Saliva Gland (1)

a few people has asked me how did I ended up being wheeled into the operation theatre with one less saliva gland. plus, I'm also seeing several searches for lump on the neck. something good must come out from the operation, so I say. why not i blog about it?

It started with a noticeable lump on my neck one morning, Friday morning in fact. It appeared suddenly one morning and it was painful. I clearly remembered that I was having trouble to move my head and the lump area was hot. I panicked. at this time and day, any weird lumps are considered dangerous. i keep thinking 'cancer'.

as usual, i picked up the phone to call a friend and decided that I really have to go to the clinic at 11.30am, during lunch.

That started it. The doctor said that we have to wait for one week and at the time, she just said that we had to prepare if its tuberculosis. there were the usual questions like 'was i sick a few days ago?', 'was there any coughing?'. As the answers were no, the doctor began to relax and scheduled for another appointment in one week for blood test and x-ray.

I was worried, almost could not concentrate. My energy was focused on not googling anything on cancer because self-diagnosis only leads to self-destruction. On one sitting, I discovered that I was the perfect candidate of about three deadly sickness. having said that, yes, I succumbed two days later. i wasn't proud of googling the information.

then came the slow wait to the next week.

during the course of one week, i wasn't feeling any pain on the lump when not touched. It was not terribly painful when touched either. But what got me really worried was the fact that the swelling did not show any sign of getting smaller. There was very slight change.

And another Friday arrived.

No comments: